Some of the most charming places to be in the world are some of the least assuming or least known. Located in Putnam County, Tennessee just between Nashville and Knoxville, is Cookeville. With a population of roughly 35,000, many would think the area doesn’t have much going on; however, Cookeville is considered one of the United States’ micropolitan areas, a city with substantial economic contribution despite its small size.
Given it’s also the county seat and is the largest city in the Upper Cumberland region, Cookeville is known as the “Hub of the Upper Cumberlands”. Algood, a neighborhood of Cookeville with a population of roughly 7,000 is considered one of the best places of the micropolitan area to live. These are the reasons why.
1. There are Lots of Places to Play
Cookeville has lots of fun places to visit for families and adults with no children alike. Not only is there plenty to do in nature like hiking, there are also things to do such as:
· Treating yourself Russell Stover Chocolates
· Playing at the Hidden Hollow Park
· Gaming at Cookeville Escape, the Sk8, Cyber Tag, or Bowling World
· Shopping at the Market Square
· Shopping and meeting and greeting at the Algood Mingle Market, which takes place on the first Saturday of each month from 7 AM to 6 PM at Algood City Hall
· Sampling at the Tennessee Legend Distillery (this one is best for adults only, of course)
· Touring at the Cookeville History Museum and the Cookeville Depot Museum
2. There are Tons of Great Places to Eat
While there are a plethora of restaurants and diners in Cookeville, there are lots of exciting local restaurants to eat at. Some of the best-kept eats are:
Coffee & Treats
· Poet’s Coffee
· Cream City Ice Cream & Coffee House
· P-Dilly’s Cupcakes
· Mama Rosa’s Italian Restaurant
· Village Kitchen for hamburgers
· Bar on the Green
· Gondola Pizza House
· Romo’s Mexican Restaurant
· Seven Sense Food & Cheer
3. There are So Many Spaces to Get Fresh Air
Being part of the Upper Cumberland region of Tennessee with multiple places to play outdoors, there’s no limit to the kayaking, canoeing, cycling, and hiking opportunities available. Swing by Outdoor Experience to outfit yourself with all of the supplies and rides you’ll need before you go.
A few can’t miss spots are:
· Cummins Falls State Park in Allgood is where you can swim, hike, and sightsee; the 75-foot waterfall, the eighth largest in the state is definitely a must-see.
· Falls Creek State Park in Algood has one of the largest vertical waterfalls in Tennessee at a height of 250 feet. There are also golfing, birding, hiking, and fishing opportunities at the park.
· The Window Cliffs States Nature Area is perfect for hiking.
· Dogwood Park features a rose garden, hiking trails, and spaces for picnicking.
· Dale Hollow Lake in Algood is a stunningly clear lake best-known for its beauty and bass and trout fishing opportunities. You can also eat, rent boats, and stay in a cabin at the Sunset Marina.
4. Water Sports are All Good Here (Especially in Algood!)
Cookeville is an idyllic place the more time you spend exploring. There are mountains for hiking, camping, and sightseeing, and expansive lakes for water sports. The massive Center Hill Lake is over 18,000 acres of aquatic bliss. In addition to beautiful log cabin rental options and other places to stay, there are three marinas surrounding the lake where visitors can rent watercrafts. In particular, the Blue Water Grille at Algood’s Hurricane Marina offers dockside dining.
5. There are Many Local Events
The Mingle Market isn’t the only local event happening in Cookville and the Algood neighborhood; there are actually a lot of events and festivals in Cumberland throughout the year. For example, the Putnam County YMCA is always sponsoring events that help the community through exercise. A few other fun can’t-miss events that make Cookeville and Algood places to love are:
· 5K Doxie Dash + 1 Mile Weiner Walk at the Hix Farm Brewery
· Slide Cookeville
· Wine on the West Side
· DelMonaco Winery & Vineyards
· Muddy Roots Music
· Festival at June Bug Boogie Ranch
5. Cookeville is Affordable to Live In
Despite the natural splendor of waterfalls, lakes, and hiking trails, the rich history, the shopping, and the dining, Cookeville is considered one of the country’s most affordable places to live. Part of this is due to super low property taxes and no state income tax.
6. The Schools are Fabulous
In addition to being home to Tennessee Technical University, there are many great elementary, middle, and high schools throughout the city. The White Plains Academy in Algood not only has multiple clubs that encourage students’ education, but they also encourage students to work collaboratively with local businesses to give back to the community.
7. Cookeville is Idyllically Located
As mentioned earlier, Cookeville is called the Hub of the Upper Cumberlands. Cookeville is spaced evenly between Nashville and Knoxville and is about an hour between each major destination. This makes Cookeville pretty idyllic as locals are only a stone’s through from getting their big city / honky tonk fix while also getting to enjoy daily life without all of the noise and traffic.
8. Cookeville Has Many Employment Opportunities
Finally, Cookeville and Algood are places to love because they offer a wealth of opportunity. Cookeville has been attracting new businesses and companies for the past several years, which has presented lots of new job opportunities. There’s also a lot of opportunities for entrepreneurs due to affordable commercial real estate rental rates.
Needless to say, this list could go on and on, but certainly resplendent waterfalls, massive lakes, lots of water sports, hiking, community events, and delicious food, in a perfect location with great weather and affordable cost of living are all great reasons to love Cookeville and Algood.
It’s probably pretty obvious why Advanced Cleaning Services loves calling Algood in Cookeville home. If you’re looking to make Cookeville you’re home, contact us and let us keep your home or business clean and pristine while you enjoy all Cookeville and Algood have to offer.